Rain gutters are an often underappreciated, but actually extremely important part of a home roofing system.
Every home should have a guttering system installed for their home – especially in Louisville, KY. Every homeowner should be concerned about their gutter systems because most houses have that classic triangle, gable roof.
If your gutters are old and need to replace them, Front Runner Roofing in Louisville, KY is your best solution. Just need a gutter repair? We can do that too!
5 Signs you Need a New Roof Drainage System
How do you know if you need a new guttering system? Check for these signs.
- Cracks, Holes, or Rust Spots: Most of the time cracks, holes, and rust can be fixed, but if you see that a major part of the gutter is damaged, you may need new gutters.
- Broken Fasteners: Fasteners are small pieces of metal that hold your gutter to the roof. Most of the time you can repair the fasteners. But if you see gutters separating from one another frequently or if you see them pulling away from the roof, contact our office immediately.
- Sagging Gutters: The main cause of gutter sagging is water pooling in certain sections causing possible spillover. This might be an indication that you need a new guttering system.
- Peeling Exterior Paints: If you see paints peeling on walls and siding just underneath your roof drainage system it means that water is leaking through your gutter.
- You Find Hardware on the Ground: If you find gutter hardware like fasteners, screws, or even broken pipes, it’s time to call a professional. Fasteners and screws on the ground mean your gutter is not securely fastened, and won’t stand up to strong winds and crazy rain.
You should think of replacing your gutters if you’ve had them for a while. Most systems, including galvanized steel and aluminum, have an expected lifespan of 20 years. Copper can last twice that long, with a serviceable life of 50 years or more.
5 Benefits of Gutters
Ask any roofer about the importance of gutters and they will all say they are vital to any home or commercial building.
Here are 5 reasons why you should invest in your roof drainage system.
- Prevent Home Decay – Water leakage is the most common reason for home damage. If you don’t have a proper guttering system, the raindrops can sneak to different parts of the house causing decay.
- Eliminate Insects – If you don’t have a proper waterway installed, water might find a place in damp areas which would be a great breeding ground for mosquitoes and other pests.
- Guard Your Home Against Mold – Mold is difficult to remove and very damaging to your home if not treated correctly. Not having proper gutters can lead to water and moisture collection leading to mold growth.
- Protect Your Yard – In the rainy season, the water drops that land on your roof will surely run off into your yard if you don’t have gutters and downspouts installed. Excess amounts of water can damage your landscaping, erode soil, and can even damage your siding and home foundations.
- Avoid Basement Flooding – When you don’t have gutters, water can slip through your home’s foundation and make a way to your basement causing flooding problems. Eavestroughs and downspouts can direct the water to a safer place.
Investing in gutters is one of the best investments you can make for your home. It will help prevent several types of damage. If you would like to install, upgrade or repair your existing gutters, reach out to Front Runner Roofing in Louisville, KY.
Commonly Used Gutter Materials
- Vinyl Gutters: Vinyl material the most inexpensive gutter material in the market. It doesn’t rot or rust but can bend and bow under excessive rain, wind, and snow loads.
- Aluminum: Aluminum is one of the most used gutter materials due to its durability, low cost, and lightweight.
- Steel: Steels are also a popularly-used guttering material. Galvanized steel lasts 8 to 15 years before it rusts whereas stainless steel never rusts.
- Zinc: Zinc can be a little expensive compared to all the other materials mentioned above. Not only in material costs but also in installation costs. Zinc expands and contracts when the temperature changes, so it’s critical that only professionals who understand these qualities of zinc install it to ensure that it is done properly.
- Copper: Copper is the best option if your budget is high – it never rusts and can last up to 100 years in any climate.
Depending on your style and budget preferences and the structure of your home, you can select from different materials and sizes. We offer 5”, 6”, 7”, and large commercial gutters.
Selecting the best gutter option for your home and budget can be a little challenging. The gutter experts at Front Runner Roofing can help you make the best decision.
FAQs About Gutters